Saturday, May 7, 2011

Lucille Ball #1

Here's a preliminary sketch, done in sharpie, of an image of Lucille Ball that I'll be putting together for my mother for Mother's Day. That sentence seems chunky.



I've been colouring on sketchpads for a while now, which forces my markers to bleed and to blend in strange ways. It's been pretty damn frustrating. I do, however, have one final sheet of marker paper that I'll be using for THIS PIECE. The plan is to ink it with coloured acrylic ink using a quill and then to provide some superflat colours with markers. I'd like to keep this simple, like something out of a Lautrec painting. I hope she likes it!

This is going to be the first piece I've made for my mother since ... grade school. Or... ever?

I'll show off the finished product tomorrow. But now... time to get back to other kinds of over-involving work.

2 comments:

  1. I love Lucille Ball. She was a pretty woman not afraid to put on a funny face (even though girl today unknowingly do it with their "kissy faces" for Facebook photos).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdMuP_u1R0&feature=related
    One of my favorite, hell, a lot of peoples favorite moment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Awesome clip. I think... last mother's day, I bought her an 'I Love Lucy' box set... part of a theme, I guess, hahaha...

    ReplyDelete